Friday, February 15, 2013

A Jewel Of The South

Oh yes...Charleston, S.C. is a southern jewel!!! If you have ever been there, I am sure you would agree with me. This city is full of history, and a wonderful place to learn a lot about the South. Back in October, Mr.CC and I spent a couple of days there, it was his first visit and my second. Not only is this city full of history, the food here is out of this world GOOD!!!! We had heard wonderful reviews about Magnolia's, so we knew we had to eat there, and we were so glad, we did just that. Here are some facts about the area, that I thought you might find interesting.

Little Known Facts about Charleston, SC

1.) Charleston boasts the first public college, museum and playhouse in the United States.

2.) George Gershwin composed his well known opera Porgy and Bess while living on Folly Beach, South Carolina. Porgy and Bess are buried in the James Island Presbyterian Church graveyard.

3.) The first game of golf played in the United States took place in Charleston, South Carolina.

4.) North America's longest cable-stayed bridge spans the Charleston Harbor. The Arthur J. Ravenel Jr.
Bridge connects historic Charleston and Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.

5.) The first shot to be fired in the Civil War was fired by Citadel Cadets stationed on Morris Island

Source

Now, grab a cup of coffee or a glass of sweet tea, and take this Charleston tour with me.
                                                Blessings,
                                                   Linda

                                Welcome to Charleston y'all!!!

                     This is the battery area...it's the most popular area
                                               for tourist.



                        Oh my...these are some serious cannon balls!

                                Southern mansions line the streets.

                    


                         Look close and you will see how these two
                                      houses are connected.

                             Pure SOUTHERN CHARM!!!!

                                           Battery Park.

                                     Just gotta love these old
                                             brick streets.



                                 He was one BIG fella!!!

                                The best way to see the city is going on
                                 a carriage tour...the tour guides are full
                                                     of info.


                                              



                                          Beautiful ironwork.


                               Stunning gardens too!!!





                 Now, here we are at Magnolia's. Fried chicken was a must, so
                      Mr.CC had it along with some other southern goodies.

                          I had their meatloaf...yum yum!!!

                       I will now leave you with a slice of pecan pie...a true
                                       SOUTHERN FAVORITE!!!
Linking at these fun parties...
Show and Tell Friday
Be Inspired Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Home Sweet Home
Flaunt It Friday

34 comments:

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

We love Magnolia's too! We often go to Charleston for a great meal! Some of our favorites are Husk and Cru which are awesome!

Pie looks awesome! One of my favorites along with Buttermilk!

Stephanie said...

Hubby and I visited Charleston summer before last and we LOVED it! I can't wait to go back!

Donna Wilkes said...

Smiling faces, beautiful places - it is our state motto. So glad you enjoyed Charleston. It is a must see town.

Calypso In The Country said...

Great pictures! I LOVE that city! I just visited for the first time this past November and I must go back someday!
-Shelley

Unknown said...

Crafting all day, nothing in the house to cook for dinner, oh how I long for a piece of that meatloaf! I'd also love to visit Charleston one day soon. Thanks for the wonderful pictures. Patti@OldThingsNew

Unknown said...

We visited Charleston this past summer. We actually stayed in a condo on Folly Beach. It is one of my favorite vacation spots. The houses as well as the food had me drooling. We also got to visit Boone Hall plantation where they filmed parts of The Notebook. Great pictures and thanks for the facts!

Unknown said...

Oh, thanks so much for sharing! I've been dying to get down to Charleston since we've moved to NC over a year ago! I think my husband and I are going to try and get away without the kids for a few days this Spring. Can't wait to see it... Any hotel recommendations?

Unknown said...

What beautiful pics. The food looks amazing!!!!! I need to go! I've been to Savannah which is similar but never Charleston.

Highpoint Circle said...

I just returned from Charleston myself and thought it was wonderful EXCEPT for the darn sidewalks! Broke a toe my first day there. Ooowwwww!

Sue said...

This northerner has never seen the south, but it certainly looks to be such a romantic, historic, and beautiful place to visit. Oh my- that pecan pie looks to die for. Thank you for sharing your trip with us. :-)

The Charm of Home said...

What a beautiful place. I have always wanted to visit. Is that collard greens on the plate with his fish? They are so good for you. That is my new go to green veggie. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Unknown said...

Oh Linda - I love houses - and I love History - this was just the perfect post for me!!!
Beautiful photos of beautiful homes!
Hugs,
Suzan

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the tour! Your pictures are gorgeous, it's been delightful. ~Lori

sandy said...

I had my Birthday lunch at Magnolia's for the last two years. They used to have smoked salmon on tiny corn breads for an appetizer but we couldn't find them on menu any more.

You have really captured some great photos here! I didn't know 4 out of 5 facts about Charleston, and I especially find that very interesting about Porgy and Bess! Thanks for the info. (I did know about the bridge)

Marianne said...

My two oldest daughters visited Charleston last spring. They loved it! Your pictures add to what I have learned from them. I noticed one of the porch ceilings is painted that lovely blue, They learned it is called "haint blue" and keeps out ghosties and evil spirits. (fun!) I need to get some of that! I am an Arizona girl transplanted to Utah and have never visited the south. I think it's time I crossed the country to visit y'all!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I don't know which looks better, the fried chicken or the houses! Everything is just beautiful!

Sheila said...

Wow, what a beautiful place. I would love to visit there. I love all the beautiful architecture! So charming.

Olive said...

Hi Linda, I grew up in S.C. and we made yearly trips to Charleston. I love it still. I have not made a trip recently so thank you for reminding me that I really need to return. Olive

Meghan Grace said...

Charleston is my favorite city! What a beautiful and magical place-I can't wait to go back. In fact, my husband and I are talking about retiring to Charleston some day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Thank you for the beautiful pictures and special memories! Meghan

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Love Charleston and Magnolia's is a GREAT restaurant! I'm ready to go back...
Have a GREAT weekend!
Blessings,
Cindy

The Fancy Shack said...

Oh, how I love Charleston and Savannah. They are both so enchanting and drenched with history and culture. I have not been in years and want to return with my husband! He has never been. I will have to try Magnolia's! :)

God Bless,
Kimberlee

Ivy and Elephants said...

Oh your photos are so exquisite. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous experience.

Paula
Ivy & Elephants

Roxanne Reinhart said...

I've been to Charleston once several years ago. The carriage ride is the best way to see the mansions and hear the history of the city. We also did a boat tour but we didn't like it. Seeing your photos makes me want to go back. You have some really really great shots!! But I am starving at this moment and I am drooling over your husbands fried chicken. That looks incredibly yummy! Thank you for sharing. I loved this post.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful visit. Those homes are absolutely gorgeous, I'd be tempted to start knocking on doors to ask for a tour. Thanks for sharing Charleston with us.

Kristen said...

Charleston is on my "to see someday" list. Looks like a beautiful city! Thanks for the tour!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stacey said...

We've never been to Charleston but I would absolutely love it - I'm certain. Your pictures are amazing!

Cindy said...

The Husband and I spent some time in Charleston last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Your photos reminded me of just how much!

thistlewoodfarm said...

I have never been to Charleston.....but it looks amazing! What an incredible place to visit!

blessings,
karianne

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Awesome tour Linda, those homes are gorgeous and seeing all that yummy food made me hungry!!

foreverdecorating said...

You bring back lots of memories when I was there visiting. My Nephew and his family are moving there next month!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Linda, This is my favorite town! We would visit quite often when we lived in Hilton Head. You have to go during the annual Garden Tour. The gardens of Charleston are amazingly beautiful.
Hugs, Sherry

My Little Home and Garden said...

A couple of years ago, a friend and I visited Charleston and absolutely loved it. You've helped me relive those memories with these photos of that beautiful city.

Anonymous said...

This Hoosier has always wanted to visit - thanks for all the pictures. Someday I'll get there!

Related Posts with Thumbnails